SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.20 número1Exposição humana ao mercúrio na região Oeste do Estado do ParáPrevalência de Meningite em crianças no Hospital Universitário João de Barros Barreto, período de 1995 a 2004 índice de autoresíndice de assuntospesquisa de artigos
Home Pagelista alfabética de periódicos  

Serviços Personalizados




  • Não possue artigos citadosCitado por SciELO

Links relacionados

  • Não possue artigos similaresSimilares em SciELO


Revista Paraense de Medicina

versão impressa ISSN 0101-5907


AMORIM, Cláudio Sergio Carvalho de; DAMASCENO, Ana Claudia Alves; TRINDADE, Cristiana Frade  e  ABEN-ATHAR, Sheila Brasileiro. The knowledge of parents about alarm symptoms of acute infective diarrhea and acute respiratory infection on children under five years old. Rev. Para. Med. [online]. 2006, vol.20, n.1, pp.27-31. ISSN 0101-5907.

OBJECTIVE: to research about the knowledge of parents about the alarm symptoms of acute respiratory infection and acute infective diarrhea on their children of children under five years old. METHOD: Data was collected from interviews of 230 parents( or the person legally in charge) of their children under 5 years old .Interviews were held at the Hospital Fundação Santa Casa de Misericordia , in 2002 from the months of may to October. RESULTS: The answers of the study were that 52% of the parents had some information about the alarm symptoms, on the other hand 48% did not know anything about it. About the acute infective diarrhea results showed that 50% of the parents knew about the alarms symptoms, and 50% that did not know about that. The maintenance of liquids and food intake which the child is used to have in his/her daily diet were some of the major information about what has to be done was the most frequent answer that parents answered in accordance to what was being asked, for both diseases. CONCLUSION: The acceptance of IMCI as a standard protocol is an important method to improve the public health assessment, because, nowadays, the basic information usually provided by public health services is not enough to instruct parents and consequently avoid children’s worse symptoms, before they come to hospital attendance.

Palavras-chave : IMCI; acute diarrhea; acute respiratory infection.

        · resumo em Português     · texto em Português     · Português ( pdf )